Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Life Hacks: Engaging with Millennials

Last night I lay awake watching lightning illuminate the room and counting up to the booms of thunder, wondering if this was going to be another night of heavy flooding and if I was going to be able to drive back home in the morning. As you may have heard, Texas has been experiencing some pretty heavy storms over the last couple of weeks.

 

Giving into the idea that this would be another sleepless night, I started to think about the floods and how people have been reacting on my Facebook news feed, which is overwhelmed with short video clips of “raging rivers” and people saying “oh my ___ “ while panning over streets that now resemble canals. There are so many tools and apps that make sharing and engaging as simple as a thumb print and a click, and many of my friends have grown up using and improving upon these, making it second nature. All of this sharing and engaging, however, has led to a lot of generalizations. That in turn got me thinking about how the media is flooded with assumptions about my generation – millennials.

 

Back at #IBMAmplify, I attended a panel on millennials – marketing to, managing … everything related. Expert millennials provided insight on differences between the generations, as well as the overwhelming similarities. Realizing how technology, especially social, has influenced behaviors and changed the way we engage, as well as how millennials are stampeding into the workplace, I decided to focus the next edition of the IBM Life Hacks on “Engaging with Millennials,” incorporating advice that may challenge conventional wisdom. After all, you know what they say about ASSumptions.

 

image



from Social Business Insights Blog http://ift.tt/1GE3kHD
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment